Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Middle Eastern eggplant and sesame dip/spread. This is my variation of my father's recipe.
Make and share this Baba Ganouj - Eggplant Dip With Sesame Oil recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium dark-skinned eggplants (pierced with fork to let steam escape)
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, to taste
- 6 tablespoons tahini (Arabic sesame paste)
- 4 lemons, juice of
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dash hot red pepper, to taste (cayenne)
- chopped parsley (for garnish) (optional)
- toasted pine nuts (for garnish) (optional)
- pomegranate seeds (for garnish) (optional)
- Broil eggplants with skin on, turning frequently, until skin is lightly charred and eggplants are fairly soft.
- Alternately, slice eggplants in half lengthwise and place on an oiled cookie sheet.
- Broil in oven or bake at 450oF until fairly soft.
- Allow to cool enough to be handled.
- Remove most of skin, and mash eggplant.
- If you don't mind a little grayness in the color, allow a little charred skin in with the pulp; it will add a pleasant smoky flavor.
- Fit food processor with steel blade.
- With machine running, drop in garlic cloves.
- Add tahini, lemon juice, and water; blend until thoroughly combined.
- Add eggplant, and pulse until coarsely pureed.
- Add salt and red and black pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours for flavor to develop.
- Adjust seasonings, including tahini if desired.
- Garnish with parsley, pine nuts, and pomegranate seeds as desired.
- Serve with pita bread or veggies.
Yum! This is a great alternative to hummus. I had fun making it work in my blender, since I don't have a food processor (though I had to add more liquid in order to get it to blend properly). The garnishes are a good idea, since baba ganouj ends up looking a bit unappetizing, even if it tastes great!!
Tasty! Though I would lessen the amount of tahini. And I did only use 4 tablespoons I thought it was a bit overpowering. The garlic was perfect. My lemons were very large so I used 3 which was strong with lemon as well. I added cumin and cilantro after tasting it without and enjoyed it very much with them added. The cumin added a nice smokey taste and the cilantro added a very fresh flavor. Topping it with pomegrante seeds is a nice touch. Hope you enjoy the picture.