Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the Sopranos Family Cookbook.
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast (1 package)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (105 - 115 degrees F)
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- whipped cream
- Butter a 10 inch Bundt or tube pan.
- Sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl and let stand 1 minute (or until creamy) then stir until dissolved.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs and zest until blended. Beat in flour, 3 tablespoons sugar and salt. Add yeast and butter and beat until well blended.
- Scrape dough into the buttered pan and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place for 1 hour (dough should double in size).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake cake for 30 minutes or until golden (a cake tester [whatever that is] should come out clean when inserted in the center). So like I said, until golden.
- Invert cake on a wire rack and let cool 10 minutes. Set the pan aside.
- For the syrup:
- Combine 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Stir in the rum. Remove from heat and set aside 1/4 cup of the syrup.
- Return the cake (should still be hot) to pan and poke holes all over the surface with a skewer. Spoon the hot syrup over the cake.
- Before serving, invert cake onto a serving plate, drizzle with reserved syrup and serve with whipped cream.