Recipe by CookKelly
A truly gourmet dessert, suitable for the most special of occasions.
Top Review by mianbao
Thank you so much for this recipe for one of my favorite desserts! I followed the recipe for the cake, using a 6-cup half bundt pan, which is a little smaller than the specified 8 inches. The cake rose to the absolute limit, filling in the center at the top, but baked fine. I thought it was lovely. I didn't soak all of the cake in the rum syrup as indicated. With only two people here, I decided to freeze part of the cake without syrup for later. I made only 1/4 of the rum syrup after the cake had cooled, and soaked 1/4 of the cake overnight in the refrigerator. The picture is of the cake the next day. While soaking the entire cake while hot may achieve a better result, this version also proved delicious. I now have frozen cake, which I can defrost and soak in more syrup when I like. Thank you again!
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup warm milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour, divided
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 2⁄3 cups sugar, divided
- 6 eggs
- 5 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- candied fruit, for decoration
- whipped cream (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in the milk in a large bowl.
- Stir in 1/2 cup flour.
- Cover and set aside in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat 7 Tablespoons of the butter in an electric mixer or in a food processor.
- Beat in 2 Tablespoons sugar and 2 Tablespoons flour.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat the remaining flour into the risen yeast mixture, then beat in the butter-egg mixture to make a thick, cake-like batter.
- Grease an 8-inch Bundt pan with the remaining tablespoon of butter, taking care to leave no part of the pan ungreased, and spoon the batter into the mold.
- It should fill it halfway.
- Cover with a cloth and set aside to rise until the dough reaches the top of the mold.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the baba for about 40 min.
- until nicely browned on top.
- While the baba is baking, combine the remaining sugar with the water in a saucepan and boil until syrupy and reduced to 3 cups.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum.
- Remove baked baba from oven and spoon rum syrup over it, saturating completely.
- Cool 45 minutes.
- Decorate with candied fruits and whipped cream.