Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 500 g almonds
- 250 g fine sugar
- 500 g sugar
- 1 tablespoon cardamom powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 150 -200 g flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup rose water
- Mix milk, baking powder, oil and egg yolks.
- Add flour gradually while mixing.
- Mix the dough well for a few minutes.
- Pour in a plastic bag and leave for 2-3 hours.
- Peel and ground the almonds.
- Add fine sugar and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Spread some flour on a table-top.
- Take a small ball from the dough and flatten into a sheet on the table-top as much as possible with a roller.
- Use a brush to remove the flour from the sheet.
- Place a box on the sheet and cut the sheet at 0.5 cm away from the edges of the box.
- Place the cut sheet at the bottom of the box.
- Repeat this procedure three times.
- Add the almond-sugar mix on top of the sheets to fill the box.
- Press using the back of a large spoon to obtain a flat surface.
- Spread a bit of rose-water on the mix.
- Cover with another three sheets of the dough.
- Cut along a grid.
- Heat up 150 grams of cooking oil and spread on top of the boxes.
- Add sugar to 1/2 cup of hot water and bring to boil.
- Add rose-water and continue boiling for 2-3 minutes. Keep this syrup warm.
- Pre-heat the oven to 300°F Place the boxes in the lower part of the oven and leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove and add a bit of the syrup.
- Return to a higher part of the oven and leave for another 15 minutes until Baagh-lava turns slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Add a bit of syrup over Baagh-lava 2-3 times at 5 minute intervals.