Recipe by GalicioBocharit
I'm told Persians make this same recipe with fresh dill instead of coriander. There are three ways to make this dish: (1) as a regular rice dish, (2) as stuffing--do everything but the last stage of simmering and stuff inside a chicken, or (3) as a "sausage"--in this case the meat should be very fatty and you need a good cloth bag to pack the rice into tightly.
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon oil, for sauteing
- 1⁄4 kg ground beef
- 2 cups rice
- 100 g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add onion.
- Sauté onion until it becomes transparent.
- Add ground meat and stir so it doesn't "clump" together.
- Stir in turmeric and pepper and let cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the rice, salt and coriander and mix well until the mixture of rice, meat, onions and coriander is uniform and rice has turned yellow from the turmeric.
- Add water and leave the mixture to boil until the water has mainly been absorbed, then lower the heat and cover the pot with a towel and then the lid (the towel will absorb the water vapor).
- Leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Fluff the rice and serve!