Recipe by UmmBinat
For Welcome to Bahrain Tag Game! "This is a traditional Bahraini dish that is quite easy to make. Ba7ari comes from the root word Ba7ar which means sea. I'm not sure why its called this..." Modified from a recipe found on, http://6abkhatummi.blogspot.ca
Top Review by Elmotoo
YUM!! I used about 1.5lb stew beef. I used Engrossed's recipe#257499 which I didn't find to be too spicy. I increased the rice to 1.25c. I added 4c water & didn't remove any when I added the rice; it came out just right. Next time I will just double the whole thing. This family of chowhounds DEVOURED the whole thing! I had 3 bowls myself. ;) Seriously tasty food. What do I do with the dried limes at the end of cooking? They get all mooshy - do I stir the bits in or remove them before they fall apart? I kind of squished the juice out then removed them. Thank you!!
- 453.59 g stewing lamb (lamb or beef but lamb is preferable, meat can be with bones or boneless)
- 9.85 ml khaleeji mixed spice (I use half Gulf Spices (Ibzar) & half Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix to be less spicy)
- cooking oil (I use olive)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 9.85 ml minced garlic
- 3 large tomatoes (Original poster prefers Italian plum tomatoes I use a good canned version) or 6 small tomatoes, diced (Original poster prefers Italian plum tomatoes)
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 2 dried limes pierced a few times with a skewers (loomi Found in some Middle Eastern or Iranian shops)
- salt, to taste
- 236.59 ml basmati rice (soaked)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub meat with spices.
- Fry in cooking oil until browned on all sides. (I love to use a cast iron pan for this part).
- Remove to plate.
- Fry onions and garlic in same pan until very soft, adding tomatoes part way through so they get cooked as well.
- Add meat to a large pot along with tomato mixture, add in tomato paste, mix thoroughly.
- Add water to cover, pierced dried limes and salt to taste.
- Bring to the boil.
- Simmer covered on low until meat is tender.
- Remove liquid so that the amount of liquid left in the pot is what you would usually cook rice inches.
- Add soaked white basmati rice.
- Simmer covered until the rice is done.