1 hr 10 mins
For Welcome to Bahrain Tag Game! "This is a traditional Bahraini dish that is quite easy to make. Ba7ari comes from the root word Ba7ar which means sea. I'm not sure why its called this..." Modified from a recipe found on, http://6abkhatummi.blogspot.ca
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb stewing lamb (lamb or beef but lamb is preferable, meat can be with bones or boneless)
- 2 teaspoons khaleeji mixed spice (I use half Gulf Spices (Ibzar) & half Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix to be less spicy)
- cooking oil (I use olive)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 large tomatoes (Original poster prefers Italian plum tomatoes I use a good canned version) or 6 small tomatoes, diced (Original poster prefers Italian plum tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 dried limes pierced a few times with a skewers (loomi Found in some Middle Eastern or Iranian shops)
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup basmati rice (soaked)
- 1Rub meat with spices.
- 2Fry in cooking oil until browned on all sides. (I love to use a cast iron pan for this part).
- 3Remove to plate.
- 4Fry onions and garlic in same pan until very soft, adding tomatoes part way through so they get cooked as well.
- 5Add meat to a large pot along with tomato mixture, add in tomato paste, mix thoroughly.
- 6Add water to cover, pierced dried limes and salt to taste.
- 7Bring to the boil.
- 8Simmer covered on low until meat is tender.
- 9Remove liquid so that the amount of liquid left in the pot is what you would usually cook rice inches.
- 10Add soaked white basmati rice.
- 11Simmer covered until the rice is done.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ba7-7ari - Meat With Rice (Bahrain)
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.0
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 117.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 28.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: