Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great recipe to try, especially if you have an overabundance of garden tomatoes at the end of summer.
- 8 medium ripe but firm tomatoes (medium-to-large)
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon
- 1⁄4 head lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 green onions, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon beau monde seasoning
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- With a serrated knife, slice the tops off tomatoes and reserve tops. Remove the cores and discard. Using a small spoon (a grapefruit spoon works well), scoop out tomato pulp & seeds from the tomatoes, reserving 1/2 cup good tomato bits/pulp. Let tomato shells drain upside-down on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp; transfer bacon to paper towel to drain.
- Thinly slice lettuce into fine shreds and transfer lettuce to a medium or large mixing bowl. Add reserved tomato bits or pulp, shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, mayonnaise, vinegar, Beau Monde seasoning and hot pepper sauce; stir until well blended. Crumble the cooked bacon and stir into the lettuce mixture.
- Place tomato shells upright on a large platter. Spoon lettuce filling into the tomato shells, mounding slightly. Replace tomato tops. Serve immediately.
Yummo! A perfect light lunch to use up those summer tomatoes.
what agreat use of tomatoes i will use this alot when the summer tomatoes start rolling in i did make one sub as i could not find beau monde seasoning i use old bay seasoning as someone here said here it was quite close it came out really great thanks for sharing made for PAC spring'09