Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Source: www.epicurious.com (Gourmet -- July 1999 -- Quick Kitchen)
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 1⁄4 loaf Italian bread
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 small red onion
- 1⁄2 lb cherry tomatoes
- 1 head boston lettuce
- In a skillet cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp.
- Reserving 1 tablespoon bacon fat in skillet, drain bacon on paper towels and crumble.
- Cut bread into enough 3/4-inch cubes to measure 1 cup.
- Heat fat over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and sauté bread cubes with salt to taste, stirring, until golden brown.
- Transfer croutons to paper towels to drain and cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together garlic, lemon juice, mayonnaise, water, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice onion and halve tomatoes.
- Tear lettuce into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl toss together onion, tomatoes, lettuce, half of bacon and croutons, salt and pepper to taste, and enough dressing to coat.
- Divide salad between 2 plates and top with remaining croutons and bacon.
Boy this is a great salad! Easy to make, loved the dressing, and tastes just like my favorite BLT! I left out the onion and used a regular tomato instead of cherry tomatoes as I had one on hand. Served this with steak but could easily eat it as a meal on its own - thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for My 3 Chefs, November 2009