Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
One of my favourite salads!
- 6 slices smoked bacon
- 1⁄4 loaf Italian bread
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 head boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- In a skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon fat in skillet, drain bacon on paper towels and crumble.
- Cut bread into enough 3/4-inch cubes.
- Heat drippings over medium heat until hot, and sauté bread cubes with salt to taste, stirring, until golden brown.
- Transfer croutons to paper towels to drain and cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together garlic, lemon juice, mayonnaise, water, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl toss together onion, tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, half of bacon and croutons and enough dressing to coat.
- Serve salad and top with remaining croutons and bacon.