Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have had several different versions of Soupe Au Pistou over the years. While they have all been excellent, I wanted to do my own "twist" on it, so this version is the BKWitch way.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large carrots (chopped)
- 2 medium yellow onions (chopped)
- 4 celery ribs (chopped)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans (snapped into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 zucchini (halved lengthwise, then sliced thinly crosswise)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided in half)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb yellow potato (peeled and diced into 1/2 dice)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans (drained)
- 1⁄2 cup shell pasta (the tiny ones)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes (oil packed)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over med-low heat.
- Add the carrots, onion and celery; sauté for 6 minutes.
- Add the green beans, zucchini, the mushrooms, 1 tsp of the salt, and the black pepper.
- Cook, stirring often, about 6 more minutes.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes, tomato paste, the chicken stock, the onion powder, the garlic powder, and the 3 cups water.
- Bring just to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the green peas, the cannellini beans, the pasta, and the second 1 tsp of salt.
- Continue simmering for 10 minutes longer, until the pasta, and all vegetables are tender.
- Turn heat to low.
- To make the pistou:.
- Put the basil, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and 1/4 tsp of salt into a food processor or a blender.
- Purée, as you slowly drizzle in the 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stir 1/4 cup of the pistou into the soup.
- Serve the hot soup in soup bowls with a teaspoonful of the pistou topping the center of each bowl.