1 hr 20 mins
Bert's Kitchen Witch's Note:
I have had several different versions of Soupe Au Pistou over the years. While they have all been excellent, I wanted to do my own "twist" on it, so this version is the BKWitch way.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large carrots (chopped)
- 2 medium yellow onions (chopped)
- 4 celery ribs (chopped)
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans (snapped into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 zucchini (halved lengthwise, then sliced thinly crosswise)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided in half)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb yellow potato (peeled and diced into 1/2 dice)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans (drained)
- 1/2 cup shell pasta (the tiny ones)
- 1In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over med-low heat.
- 2Add the carrots, onion and celery; sauté for 6 minutes.
- 3Add the green beans, zucchini, the mushrooms, 1 tsp of the salt, and the black pepper.
- 4Cook, stirring often, about 6 more minutes.
- 5Add the potatoes, tomatoes, tomato paste, the chicken stock, the onion powder, the garlic powder, and the 3 cups water.
- 6Bring just to a boil.
- 7Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 8Add the green peas, the cannellini beans, the pasta, and the second 1 tsp of salt.
- 9Continue simmering for 10 minutes longer, until the pasta, and all vegetables are tender.
- 10Turn heat to low.
- 11To make the pistou:.
- 12Put the basil, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and 1/4 tsp of salt into a food processor or a blender.
- 13Purée, as you slowly drizzle in the 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 14Stir 1/4 cup of the pistou into the soup.
- 15Serve the hot soup in soup bowls with a teaspoonful of the pistou topping the center of each bowl.
Nutritional Facts for B K Witch's Soupe Provencal Au Pistou
Serving Size: 1 (791 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 687.4
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 2190.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.4 g
- Sugars 24.0 g
- Protein 28.4 g