Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was developed for my two brothers. Both of them love their lasagna with lots of meat. After many episodes of trial and error, I was finally able to satisfy them. Feel free to add spinach to the mix, they both hate the stuff, so it was never used in the recipe I developed. This one is for you bro's (the secret is out)!
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 -8 cloves garlic, minced (depending on taste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (7 1/2 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (5 1/2-11 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb lasagna noodle, cooked (8 to 12 strips)
- 1 (12 ounce) package mozzarella cheese
- Saute onions, green peppers and garlic in 2 tbsp oil.
- Add celery to very tail end of this.
- Add beef, breaking apart.
- Brown the beef, if you are using extra lean ground beef, there is no need to drain any excess fat.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt (2 tsps), dried oregano, Italian seasoning and water.
- Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix 1 egg with cottage and parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp oil and 1 tsp salt.
- Beat second egg and toss with noodles.
- Assemble lasagna in a lasagna pan in the following order: 1/2 meat mix, 1/2 noodles, cheese/egg mix, 1/2 noodle mix, 1/2 meat mix.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Add Mozzarella cheese to top after lasagna has been in oven for 45 minutes.
- Bake 15 minutes longer.
This is the best extra meat lasagna I could find. Great for "Meaty" men, not "Cheesy" men! :)