1/1 Photo of B C Ferries Manhattan Clam Chowder for First Class Passengers
Beautiful BC's Note:
In British Columbia, Canada, the Ferries that travel the beautiful trip between the Mainland and Vancouver Island, are famous for their "Manhattan" styled Clam Chowder. In the small village by Horseshoe Bay terminal, one of the little bistro's has it's own kicked up version. This is my copycat version of their version! NOTE - this is on the spicy/hot side so if you aren't a fan of that, don't add the red pepper flakes. Serve up with a crusty white artisan bread and a crisp, dry white wine. May I recommend BC's Sonoma Ranch Pinot Grigio. UPDATE: Sept 3, 2012 - Upped the flavour factor on this tasty soup last night by adding in a small chopped zucchini, a small finely chopped fennel bulb and instead of using tomato paste I added 2 TBSP of chipotle adobe sauce. If you don't like the spice of peppers you could add some liquid smoke or smoked paprika instead. Because of the added ingredients I added a bit more clamato and a bit more wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices smoked bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup onion, cut in half and then into slivers
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup celery, sliced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot, chopped into 1 inch lengths and then into lengthwise slivers
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups Clamato juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4-12 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt, to taste (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans baby clams, with juice
- 1In a large pot, saute bacon until crispy. Remove bacon and set on paper towel to remove excess fat. Remove and discard all but 2 Tbsp of bacon fat from pot.
- 2Add garlic and onions and saute until translucent, about 1 minute. Add celery, green pepper and carrots. Saute for about 2 minutes until tender. Add flour and stir until mixed in and browned - about 2 minutes.
- 3Add wine and stir until bits cooked onto bottom loosen up.
- 4Add Clamato juice and tomato paste;stir well.
- 5Add green chili's, red pepper flakes, black pepper, Worcestershire and dried thyme. Mix well.
- 6Add can of diced tomatoes and potatoes. Simmer 20 minutes, Stirring occasionally.
- 7Add baby clams with juice and bacon pieces. Simmer 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 8Ladle into bowls and serve immediately. Add salt to taste if wanted.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for B C Ferries Manhattan Clam Chowder for First Class Passengers
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 344.8
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 48.9 mg
- Sodium 1522.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 26.0 g