Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
This is another of my memories from childhood. I made these cookies back in the '50's when I was quite young. Mother gave me the cookbook where they were written inside, I was still quite young. They are your basic standard peanut butter cookie, but none of the others have these exact same ingredients, so I get to share yet another treasure from my past.
Top Review by Michelle R.
I was excited to try these because of all the 5-star reviews they were getting. I don't disagree that they have decent flavor, but I do not agree that they are the absolute best peanut butter cookies I have ever tasted. I actually struggled with them burning in the oven and had to watch them constantly - checking them about every 2 minutes. One suggestion after you do take them out of the oven is to for sure leave them sit on the pan for approximately 1 minute before transferring them off the pan to avoid them breaking apart. For sure a decent cookie worth making if you are hungry for peanut butter cookies, but nothing to be overly excited about in my opinion.
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour (unsifted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Add peanut butter and mix well.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add vanilla and stir well.
- Put dry ingredients into sifter and sift into batter.
- Gently, but thoroughly fold into batter.
- Roll into small balls and press with a floured fork on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 10 minutes.