Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Serve warm with roast beef, steaks, chicken or fish. Makes about 2 cups.
- 1 green onions or 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh chervil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 4 crushed black peppercorns (or more)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 3 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup firm butter, cut in pieces
- cayenne pepper
- finely chopped fresh tarragon or parsley, if desired
- In a small saucepan, combine green onion, chervil, tarragon, peppercorns, vinegar and wine. Cook cover medium heat until liquid is reduced by half.
- Place egg yolks in top half of a double boiler over barely simmering water. Strain onion mixture through a fine sieve into egg yolks; whisk until blended. Do not allow water to boil or touch bottom of top half of boiler.
- Add butter piece by piece, whisking constantly. Make sure each piece is melted and absorbed before adding next piece. The sauce should be smooth like mayonnaise. Adjust seasoning with salt and red (cayenne) pepper. Stir in chopped herb, if desired, and serve.