1/1 Photo of Azteca (Tortilla Chip) Soup
I haven't made this recipe yet, but my family loves tortilla soup when we are in Mexico. I found this recipe on the back of a tortilla chip bag.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 medium tomatoes
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2/3 liter chicken broth or 2/3 liter vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon epazote leaves, chopped or 1 teaspoon parsley or 1 teaspoon cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 4 dried pasilla peppers
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup sour cream
- tortilla chips
- 1Place tomatoes in boiling water for about 2 minutes.
- 2Remove tomatoes and in a food processor, blend them with the onion and garlic.
- 3Heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a 2 Litre sauce pan. Add the blended tomato mixture. Cook until it changes colour and has a pleasant cooked taste.
- 4Add the broth and heat until it just starts to boil. Simmer and add the Epazote leaves, salt and pepper.
- 5In a separate pan or griddle roast the dried pasilla chilies in the remaining vegetable oil until they change colour but do not blacken. If burnt, the chillies will taste bitter and unpleasant.
- 6To serve, use deep bowls. Pour or ladle in the very hot broth mixture. Place a handful of chips in the soup and garnish with grated cheese, avocado, and sour cream. Serve immediately so the chips do not get soggy.
- 7Serve the grilled chillies on the side for individuals to use to their taste.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Azteca (Tortilla Chip) Soup
Serving Size: 1 (1729 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1902.9
- Calories from Fat 1455
- Total Fat 161.7 g
- Saturated Fat 62.3 g
- Cholesterol 201.7 mg
- Sodium 2887.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.5 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 60.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: