Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
For authenticity, sub. lard for the olive oil. Garlic and onions have been imported to C.A. since the Spanish. Celery? I don't know. For Basil, Mexican oregano. Beef would be a festival food, so make vegetable stock, instead. Lime, avocado, corn, tomatos, jalapeno, all New World foods. I wasn't sure about this one, but it is great! Wouldn't change a thing. Original poster's coments follow: A wonderfully tasty, quick, low calorie, and filling soup--fit for Montezuma after a hard day at the sacrificial altar. Serve hot to 6 as complete lunch--or as a substantial first course.
Top Review by Dawn
The soup is very filling and tasty with a Tex-Mex attitude. I used 1 can of beef broth and 1 can of vegetable broth for the base. I substituted cilantro for the fresh basil (my fresh basil was NOT so fresh). This recipe went well with Mexican Shrimp Cocktail as an appetizer. If you like Tex Mex, you'll love this!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, cut and drained, with juice reserved
- 1⁄2 cup corn (preferably fresh)
- 1 tablespoon basil, sliced into thin ribbons
- 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- nacho chip (to garnish)
- sour cream (to garnish)
- basil, shredded (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, saute garlic, onions, jalapeno pepper, and celery in the olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato pieces, chili powder, and cumin, and cook down over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add corn, basil, reserved tomato juice, and stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- When ready to serve, remove soup from heat and stir in the lime juice and avocado.
- Break several nacho chips into each bowl, ladle in the soup, then top each with a spoonful of sour cream.
- Toss on a few basil shreds and stick a nacho chip on top.
- Serve immediately.