Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a version of tortilla soup, found in a Central American magazine called Mucho Gusto. I personally like mine with a bit of lime squeezed over it, but I'm posting the recipe exactly as written. This is also excellent (better, in my opinion) using turkey.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 10 cups chicken broth
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 3 corn tortillas, cut in strips
- 1⁄2 avocado, diced
- 1⁄2 cup Cotija cheese, shredded or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and saute the garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste, the tomatoes (including liquid) and the chili powder and cook for 5 minutes, until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Separately, place the tortilla strips on a baking sheet and spray with PAM (or similar). Bake for 8 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning halfway through.
- Divide the shredded chicken among individual serving bowls. Ladle soup mixture over it.
- Garnish with the toasted tortilla strips, avocado chunks, cheese and cilantro. Serve while still hot.
- OPTIONAL: Yum! Add a good dollop of Mexican Crema or sour cream.