This is a version of tortilla soup, found in a Central American magazine called Mucho Gusto. I personally like mine with a bit of lime squeezed over it, but I'm posting the recipe exactly as written. This is also excellent (better, in my opinion) using turkey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 10 cups chicken broth
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 3 corn tortillas, cut in strips
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese, shredded or 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2In a large pot, heat the oil and saute the garlic for 30 seconds.
- 3Add the tomato paste, the tomatoes (including liquid) and the chili powder and cook for 5 minutes, until the liquid has evaporated.
- 4Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Separately, place the tortilla strips on a baking sheet and spray with PAM (or similar). Bake for 8 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning halfway through.
- 6Divide the shredded chicken among individual serving bowls. Ladle soup mixture over it.
- 7Garnish with the toasted tortilla strips, avocado chunks, cheese and cilantro. Serve while still hot.
- 8OPTIONAL: Yum! Add a good dollop of Mexican Crema or sour cream.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aztec Soup (Sopa Azteca)
Serving Size: 1 (521 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 199.9
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 11.5 mg
- Sodium 1429.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: