Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe came from Family Circle magazine a few years ago. An easy recipe for new cooks.
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced mild green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) package tortilla chips
- 1 cup thinly sliced green olives
- 1 (6 ounce) can pitted black olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Saute onion in oil in a skillet over medium heat until soft.
- Add garlic and cook another minute or so.
- Transfer to small bow.
- Cook beef in skillet until no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Return onion and garlic to skillet.
- Stir in chili powder, sugar, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cinnamon; cook 2 to 3 minutes more, stirring to blend falvors.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes and chlies; break up tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place half of chips in an even layer on bottom of large casserole dish.
- Spoon half of the meat sauce over.
- Sprinkle with green onion.
- Reserving 6 olives, scatter remainder of olives over green onion.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheeses.
- Press down with a spatula to compress slightly.
- Top with another layer of chips and meat sauce.
- Press down slightly again.
- Top with remaining cheeses.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes befire serving.
- Garnish top with reserved olives and additional green olives, avocado and lime, if desired.