Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I recently visited my brother and sister-in-law. She is a fabulous cook who learned from her mother growing up in Mexico City. She doesn't cook from recipes, but from memory and experience of how she was taught. We had a fabulous meal of beef tacos with this guacamole. I watched so I could make it at home. It's different than most because of the tomatillos, and it's wonderful with the beef. I posted the beef taco recipe separately.
- 2 avocados, cut in chunks
- 8 tomatillos
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 medium onion, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper (may need more depending on heat of pepper and your heat tolerance)
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 fresh lime, juice of
- Rmove the husks from the tomatillos, wash them well, and roughly chop them.
- Put the tomatillos, onion, garlic, and pepper in a food processor or blender. Process for about eight seconds.
- Add the avocado chunks, cilantro, salt, and lime juice to the food processor bowl. Process an additional ten seconds. The texture is supposed to be somewhat chunky - not a puree.
- Taste to adjust seasoning. You may need to add more serrano pepper. The tomatillos and lime will keep the guacamole fresh and it won't turn brown.
This is what I would consider a salsa, with the addition of avocado it is more delicious and smoother, but I have made it without the avocado and it is still good. That said, let me rave...THIS IS THE BEST I HAVE EVER MADE!! I truly feel it is better than any I have had before, whether from a can or jar or from a restaurant. My whole family agrees, as well as many friends that I've passed the recipe out to. So, really, I should be giving this recipe about 15 5-star ratings! It is so fresh, and has spiciness and tanginess that go great with just tortilla chips or on tacos or right over beef, poultry, pork. Oh, also, it is a really beautiful sauce to set out on your table. I have made this more times than any other recipe I've gotten from this website. Thank you so much for sharing it!
A very excellent guacamole recipe!
I agree with another reviewer who considered this more like a salsa with avocado. This was very fresh tasting and easy to make. I felt it was a little salty and probably would have gradually added to taste. My guests either really loved it or felt it was too citrusy. We served with tortilla chips. Thanks for posting!