Kitchen Witch Steph's Note:
Credit goes to www.tigersandstrawberries.com, named in honor of the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movie. Its flavors are drawn from Mexico: chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, coffee, and chipotle pepper. The recipe creator claims these brownies are sexy hot and sure to make your reputation. She takes them over the top by sprinkling edible gold leaf on top. I'm definitely intrigued but waiting for a more adventurous moment to try these.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated (62% Scharffen Berger chocolate recommended)
- 1/2 cup salted butter, at room temperature, cut into cubes
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground dried chipotle peppers
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F
- 2Line 8-inch glass baking pan with foil, grease and flour.
- 3In a glass bowl, melt butter and chocolate in 10 seconds increments. If chocolate is well-grated, this should take about 40 seconds-stir after 30 seconds.
- 4Place sugar, cinnamon, espresso powder, and chipotle pepper in a mixing bowl and stir well.
- 5Put flour and cocoa in another bowl and mix well.
- 6Scrape chocolate into sugar mixture and beat on medium speed about 30 seconds.
- 7Scrape sides and bottom of bowl and beat another 20 seconds or so.
- 8Add eggs, beat to incorporate, scraping as needed.
- 9Add vanilla and stir to incorporate.
- 10Add half of flour mixture, and stir on low speed until mostly mixed it.
- 11Scrape bowl and add rest of flour, mixing until incorporated.
- 12Scrape bowl. Beat on medium high speed for about 45 seconds, or until mixture lightens visibly. This is to incorporate air, which is the only leavening in the batter.
- 13Scrape into prepared pan and bake at 325°F for 30-35 minutes.
- 14Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- 15Lift out foil and lay on a wire rack and allow to cool completely before cutting.
- 16If you cut them too soon, they will be gooey in the middle and crackle too much on the top and fall apart.
- 17They should be fudgy in the middle with a bit of a crispy crust on top.
- 18Take them over the top by sprinkling with edible gold leaf.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aztec Gold Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.9
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 89.1 mg
- Sodium 117.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 28.0 g
- Protein 4.5 g