Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Latin American, Central/South American
Make and share this Aztec Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 6 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 boneless chicken breast halves, with skin
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1⁄4 cup oil-cured black olive, pitted, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup capers, rinsed, drained
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter with vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add all onions; cook until deep brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Add sugar and sauté until sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup vinegar; sauté until almost all liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Transfer to small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 200°F Mix salt, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and pepper in small bowl. Rub chicken breasts all over with spice mixture. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken breasts, skin side down. Sauté until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to baking sheet. Keep warm in oven.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 20 seconds. Add caramelized onions, 1/4 cup vinegar, tomato, olives, capers, and Sherry. Cook until liquid reduces slightly, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, chicken broth, lime juice, sage, thyme, and rosemary. Add avocado; cook until sauce thickens, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add 4 tablespoons butter and stir until blended into sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Place 1 chicken breast on each of 6 plates; spoon sauce over.