A high-protein, delicious one-meal dish. Made ahead of time, this casserole freezes well and is a good dish on-the-run. Omit ground meat for a vegetarian meal.
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 1 cup dried red beans
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 9 cups hot water
- 1 cup organic sweet brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs ground turkey or 2 lbs ground beef (optional)
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn or 2 cups fresh whole kernel corn
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon roasted red chili paste
- Ahead of time:.
- Prepare dried beans in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high until tender, (Approx. 3 hours).
- Prepare grains in rice cooker following directions for 2 cups of grain.
- (Approx 70 mins).
- When beans and grains are cooked:.
- In a very large skillet or sautee pan, heat half of the olive oil and brown the meat.
- Remove the meat to drain.
- Add the remaining oil and then cooking over medium heat, add chopped onions, peppers and garlic.
- Cook these until crisp-tender.
- Stir in corn and red chile paste (as desired).
- Add the cooked beans (including all the juice) and the cooked grains.
- Add the drained meat.
- Salt to taste and stir well.
- Simmer the mixture to slightly reduce the liquid and meld the flavors.