Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A high-protein, delicious one-meal dish. Made ahead of time, this casserole freezes well and is a good dish on-the-run. Omit ground meat for a vegetarian meal.
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 1 cup dried red beans
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 9 cups hot water
- 1 cup organic sweet brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs ground turkey or 2 lbs ground beef (optional)
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn or 2 cups fresh whole kernel corn
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon roasted red chili paste
- Ahead of time:.
- Prepare dried beans in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high until tender, (Approx. 3 hours).
- Prepare grains in rice cooker following directions for 2 cups of grain.
- (Approx 70 mins).
- When beans and grains are cooked:.
- In a very large skillet or sautee pan, heat half of the olive oil and brown the meat.
- Remove the meat to drain.
- Add the remaining oil and then cooking over medium heat, add chopped onions, peppers and garlic.
- Cook these until crisp-tender.
- Stir in corn and red chile paste (as desired).
- Add the cooked beans (including all the juice) and the cooked grains.
- Add the drained meat.
- Salt to taste and stir well.
- Simmer the mixture to slightly reduce the liquid and meld the flavors.
Healthy, filling. great ability to flavor to taste. Full of ingredients to combat altitude sickness. Can adjust to preferences. This is my 3rd time to make it!
Very good and very satisfying. The family wasn't crazy about it (being the mac and cheese types) but still came back for seconds. A little bland - I added black pepper to the pot and put hot sauce in my own portion - but it's the sort of dish that everyone can personalize with their own blend of seasonings. I like the nutritional content and will definitely make this again.
This is a really good recipe. I cut each of the beans in 1/2 just out of preference but otherwise followed the recipe. DH enjoyed it as well.