Recipe by VegSocialWorker
From fatfreevegan.com. This salad is lovely and can be made ahead. Add or subtract the chipotles to fit your own taste. I have also replaced the cilantro with Italian parsley when served to someone who hates cilantro and it turned out well.
Top Review by Dr. Wilson
Fatfree.com credits the base to this to The Race for Life Cookbook [posted to site in 1995] and I primarily used that one instead of this one. Note, the stupid software won't let me comment so I had to pick stars. The stars are based on my version. I used a tarragon wine vinegar since wine vinegar was suggested. I used lemon instead of the lime they suggested since it was suggested here. I didn't bother with the second vinegar at all in this one. I also didn't put in the chipotle chile. I mixed 5 different kinds of beans including soy and used garlic powder as suggested by the original since I was not going to be able to let the dressing sit. It was interesting to see the enhancements that fatfreevegan put on it. Gives me room to play the next time I serve it for lunch
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn kernels, drained or 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen corn, thawed or 2 cups fresh corn
- 2 -3 tomatoes, diced or 2 -3 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or 2 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- 1 lemons, juice of or 1 lime, juice of
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, canned in adobo sauce, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine beans, onion, bell peppers, corn, tomatoes, and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegars, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, and chipotle. I use a hand held immersion blender for this.
- Pour over salad and toss gently to mix.