Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious and easy way to serve shrimp that is a crowd pleaser. Another family recipe handed down from generation from the beautiful island of Sao Miguel, Azores.
- 1 (2 1/2 kg) box frozen shrimp (21-30 count works best)
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 head garlic, peeled and cloves cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup table salt
- 1⁄2 cup portugese crushed red pepper sauce (Pimenta) or 6 tablespoons Tabasco sauce (more if you want more heat)
- 2 cups water
- In a pasta/stock pot place frozen block of shrimp along with water.
- ***If you are using fresh shrimp be sure to rinse and clean the shrimp before cooking making sure that the shell is still intact.
- Cover shrimp with water and follow remaining instructions for cooking.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- On high heat, place a lid on the top of the pot.
- Allow for block of ice/shrimp to thaw completely.
- Once the shrimp are loose, stir to mix all ingredients well.
- Place heat at a low temperature as to simmer the shrimp for 2 hours.
- This ensures that all the flavors blend well otherwise you may eat them immediately.
- If there are leftovers be sure to refrigerate.
- You can eat them cold or warm them back up in original broth for the next day.
This was SO salty I had to throw it out. Horrible. I questioned the recipe, but followed it anyway. Maybe OK without the salt....
My BF's mother puts in a couple of bay leaves and cloves which I find adds a nice touch of flavor to this dish..Otherwise nice work.