1/3 Photos of Azore-Style Feijos (Beans)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
An Old World bean soup recipe given to me by my husband's cousin's grandparents who are from the Portuguese Azore Islands. You can follow the spice trade route with this recipe. Pity that pink beans are not used much in cooking. They are so delicious! This makes the house smell so good! Can easily be prepared vegetarian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried pink beans, picked over and soaked
- 8 cups water
- 3 -4 slices bacon, crisply cooked (substitute ham hock, read NOTE*)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 5 -6 whole cloves
- 8 whole allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 ounces tomatoes (diced or pureed)
- salt and pepper
- 1*NOTE: Can also substitute sausage for the bacon or ham hock. Portuguese linguica, Spanish chorizo or Louisiana andouille, vegetarian "soyrizo", etc. are suggestions. My preference being bacon as I don't care for sausage or ham hock.
- 2For additional flavor, I usually dry roast the spices in a castiron skillet.
- 3Soak the beans overnight. Cook the bacon or ham hock and drain on paper towel. Next saute the onion and garlic. Once cooled, break up the bacon into little pieces.
- 4In large Dutch oven or in crock pot, combine all the ingredients, including the water, excluding the salt. If using a Dutch oven, simmer the beans on medium-low for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are soft.
- 5If using a crock pot simmer on low 8 hours or until beans are soft. Salt the beans once cooked.
- 6Adjust seasoning before serving. Now season with salt.
- 7Remove whole cloves, cinnamon stick and whole allspice.
- 8Great with freshly baked, crusty bread. Tastes even better if prepared one day ahead then warmed.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Azore-Style Feijos (Beans)
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.4
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 4.0 mg
- Sodium 83.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.5 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 23.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: