Recipe by Member #610488
Recipe from the Intourist Hotel in Baku, Azerbaijan. Found in my grandmother's old recipe box. Dates from the '60's.
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, blanched
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame seeds (white)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread almonds on a cookie sheet in a single layer & toast in the oven for about 5 minutes Watch for any sign of burning being sure to regulate heat accordingly. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy 2 quart casserole set over med heat.
- Add rice and stir with a wooden spoon until the rice turns white and opaque.
- Stir in sesame seeds, then pour in chicken stock, ginger, salt and black pepper.
- Stir constantly, then bring to a boil, cover casserole tightly and bake in center of oven for 20-25 mins until the liquid has all been absorbed and rice is tender.
- Sprinkle the reserved almonds over the rice then serve immediately.