Recipe by Elizabeth Fullerton
I found this recipe on a mailer from McCormick's spices and tweaked it a bit. It is simple to make and quite good!
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon corn oil
- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄2 lb cooked chicken, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 4 teaspoons fat free sour cream
- 2 larger corn tortillas, cut into strips
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and add chopped onion, cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ancho powder, cumin, bay leaves, garlic powder and salt; cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes and chilies, corn, and shredded chicken.
- Bring to a boil for 1 minute and then simmer for thirty minutes.
- While soup is simmering, heat oven to 400 and place tortilla strips on a pan.
- Cook for 8 minutes, turning over at the halfway point (keep and eye on these, you may need to adjust your cooking time according to your oven).
- Place soup in bowls, garnishing with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla strips.