Elizabeth Fullerton's Note:
I found this recipe on a mailer from McCormick's spices and tweaked it a bit. It is simple to make and quite good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon corn oil
- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1/2 lb cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 4 teaspoons fat free sour cream
- 2 larger corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1In a large saucepan, heat oil and add chopped onion, cook for 3-4 minutes.
- 2Add ancho powder, cumin, bay leaves, garlic powder and salt; cook for another 2 minutes.
- 3Add broth, water, tomatoes and chilies, corn, and shredded chicken.
- 4Bring to a boil for 1 minute and then simmer for thirty minutes.
- 5While soup is simmering, heat oven to 400 and place tortilla strips on a pan.
- 6Cook for 8 minutes, turning over at the halfway point (keep and eye on these, you may need to adjust your cooking time according to your oven).
- 7Place soup in bowls, garnishing with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla strips.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aye Mami! Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.4
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 37.0 mg
- Sodium 1347.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 17.5 g