1/1 Photo of Ayam Siow (Peranankan Chicken in Tamarind Sauce)
Cook Food Mood's Note:
A classic Peranankan (Chinese with Malay heritage) recipe I got off Women's Weekly magazine to which I had made some adjustments. Yummy stuff esp if the taste of sweet brown sugar contrasted with the subtle tanginess of tamarind marinade appeals to you. You should be able to purchase tamarind pulp (assam) from asian supermarkets. Tried it and it's always a winner at family reunion dinners.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix tamarind sauce with shallots, coriander powder, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- 2Marinate chicken pieces, cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- 3Put the marinated chicken to stove and bring the entire pot to boil. Simmer over low fire for about 30 min until chicken is tender and sauce has thickened.
- 4The sauce should have carmelised alittle over the chicken.
- 5Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with cucumber if desired.
- 6Dig in!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ayam Siow (Peranankan Chicken in Tamarind Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 778.6
- Calories from Fat 401
- Total Fat 44.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 187.5 mg
- Sodium 1737.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 34.4 g
- Protein 49.0 g