Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A classic Peranankan (Chinese with Malay heritage) recipe I got off Women's Weekly magazine to which I had made some adjustments. Yummy stuff esp if the taste of sweet brown sugar contrasted with the subtle tanginess of tamarind marinade appeals to you. You should be able to purchase tamarind pulp (assam) from asian supermarkets. Tried it and it's always a winner at family reunion dinners.
- Mix tamarind sauce with shallots, coriander powder, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Marinate chicken pieces, cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Put the marinated chicken to stove and bring the entire pot to boil. Simmer over low fire for about 30 min until chicken is tender and sauce has thickened.
- The sauce should have carmelised alittle over the chicken.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with cucumber if desired.
- Dig in!
mmm!!!! i am so glad i tagged this recipe!!! i have never worked with a lot of these ingredients and was in the mood to try something new! i grew up eating tamarind candies (since i live so close to mexico) and this chicken had that in the sauce! how delish! definately a great new dish that i'll be making again!!