Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
(Barbecued Spicy Chicken)
- 10 chicken wings or 10 whole chicken legs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 1⁄2 cm gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, preferably from small round limes (limau kesturi)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 -10 chilli padi chilies
- 25 red chilies
- 15 shallots
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons lime juice, preferably from small round limes (limau kesturi)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- Pound or blend the garlic and ginger together, mix with lime juice and salt and rub into the chicken.
- -Set aside.
- To prepare the spice paste, put the chillies, shallots, garlic and tomatoes in a steamer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Slit the large red chillies and discard the seeds; remove the seeds from the tomatoes.
- Put steamed items in a blender and process coarsely.
- Heat oil in a pan and stir fry the blended paste over low heat for about 5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the chicken over charcoal for 5 minutes, turning halfway through. Rub the chicken thoroughly on both sides with the cooked spice paste and leave for 5 minutes to allow the flavours to penetrate.
- Return chicken to the barbecue and cook until tender and golden brown on both sides.
- Hint: The spice paste can be prepared several hours in advance.