Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adopted recipe, not yet tried by me.
Make and share this Ayam Bali (Balinese Chicken) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (I'd triple this, at least!)
- 1-3 hot red chili pepper, coarsely chopped
- 59.14 ml toasted cashew nuts
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 9.85 ml palm sugar or 9.85 ml light brown sugar
- 4.92 ml chopped fresh ginger
- 14.79 ml peanut oil
- 907.18 g boneless skinless chicken thighs or 907.18 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch or 907.18 g coconut milk
- additional toasted cashew nuts (to garnish)
- Combine the onion, garlic, chili peppers, cashew nuts, lemon juice,soy sauce, sugar, and ginger in an electric blender or food processor and blend until it forms a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat and saute the chicken until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the blended mixture and cook uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the coconut milk, reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender and the sauce has thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with toasted cashews.
This was just wonderful, we've had this a couple of times now and it will be a staple in our home! I took the previous advise and upped the garlic. Definately go for the full chili quota, this is not a hot dish at all, but the flavous is just amazing. Served with rice and roti bread, what an easy and quick weekday dinner! Thanks for a wonderful recipe!
Fantastic recipe!! Made it for the first time a couple of days ago. It was very easy to cook, I will definitely be cooking this again. I used 4 chili peppers and de-seeded 2 of them. It had a little kick to it, but not overpowering. I guessed on the amount of coconut milk (1- 10oz. can), and would maybe use a little less than that next time. Thanks for the great recipe.
This was quite good! I used a can (15-16oz) of coconut milk in the spot where the ingredients have chicken being "cut into coconut milk". The nuts in this were sooo good! I might like something a little more, however, so next time I mught add in some type of vegetable. Thanks for sharing! ~Sue