Recipe by Tornado Ali
This is a souped up version of another zaar recipe, that I played around with until I thought it couldn't get any better. When I bring this to social gatherings, people are so estatic in their compliments, that I have to say "Aw, shucks, it's easy." Hence, the name.
Top Review by Chef TraceyMae
I liked this and it was easy to make. Since I don't tolerate sugar well, I used sugar-free raspberry jam and just sprinkled some sugar on the top. It smells great while its cooking. My friends loved it and I will make it again.
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crescent roll dough
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (18 ounce) jar jam or 1 (18 ounce) jar preserves, any flavor
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional) or 1 teaspoon ginger (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease one 13x9 inch pan.
- Roll out first can of crescent dough into bottom of pan, and slightly up sides.
- Beat cream cheese, 1 cup of the sugar, and vanilla together. Spread over crescent dough.
- Microwave jam or preserves for 45 seconds, stirring once after twenty five seconds, to make it slightly liquid.
- Spread jam on top of cream cheese, taking care not to mix the two together but keeping them layered.
- With your hands, gently stretch second can of crescent dough and place on top of jam layer. This does not have to cover perfectly, in fact, open seams here and there look quite pretty with the jam peeking through.
- Mix melted butter, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, and cinnamon (or ginger) together, making sure to incorporate all the butter. Gently spoon butter mixture over dough, spreading to cover.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes, until top is browned nicely. Let it cool for fifteen minutes, cut and serve!
- Tastes best warm or room temp, but cold is delicious, too.