Terry Davis in Cedar City's Note:
Don't let the name fool you! these are really tasty and good for you. I used this name because when we went to Israel one of our traveling buddies said he would never eat anything that sounds like awful and he called them Awful Falafels, but it is he that missed out. This is as authentic to the ones in Israel as I could find.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 314.66 ml dried garbanzo beans, don't use canned
- 59.16 ml bulgur wheat, can get from health food stores
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 73.94 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 73.94 ml fresh coriander, chopped (cilantro)
- 44.37 ml ground cumin
- 14.79 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 4.92 ml curry powder
- 44.37 ml water
- 1.23 ml cardamom seed
- 59.16 ml flour
- 1Place chickpeas in a large bowl and add water to at least 2 inches over the top of chickpeas.
- 2Let soak for 4 hours.
- 3Drain and grind in a food processor. (I tried in a blender but not ground fine enough).
- 4Add chickpeas to a bowl and stir in bulgar wheat, onion, garlic, parsley, fresh coriander, ground cumin, ground coriander, baking powder, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, curry powder and 3 tablespoons water mixing well.
- 5Let stand for 45 minutes.
- 6Add flour to mixture mixing well, should be moist but not runny, if too dry add water a tablespoon at a time or if too wet add flour a little at a time.
- 7Wet hands and shape mixture into balls the size of golf balls.
- 8Heat oil for deep-frying to 350.
- 9Add falafel balls to the hot oil (making sure not to over crowd the pan) and cook for 4 minutes, if not using a deep fryer then turn balls over after 2 minutes.
- 10Remove from pan and let drain on paper towels.
- 11Serve in pita bread with hummus, fresh vegetables, tahini and olives or use what you prefer.
- 12Time to make doesn't include soaking and standing times.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Awful Falafel
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.2
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 371.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 10.5 g