Recipe by Dantana
On our 'cheat' day (we do low carb) we get one day a week to eat all we want. This is our favorite version of goulash- but feel free to subsitute and share your additions in the comment section! We have tinkered with this many times and, although it is never bad, this is the best we have come up with (so far)!!
Top Review by Susie D
I used Italian sausage, fresh garlic and onion, frozen corn kernels, bow tie pasta, and a mixture of mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. This turned out to be satisfying comfort food and I liked that it was loaded with veggies. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
- 1 lb pork sausage (ground or links with casings removed)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (we use store-bought- or 1-2 cloves chopped)
- 1⁄8 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped (we use yellow squash)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (reserve some clean top leaves for garnish if desired)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes (fire roasted is our first)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes (we used petite decided on this second one)
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 dash garlic pepper seasoning
- 1 dash garlic salt
- 1 dash oregano
- 1 dash minced onion
- 8 ounces mixed shredded cheese
- 8 ounces spiral shaped pasta (we use cavapatti)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring big pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to directions.
- Brown sausage and onion in a dutch oven or other thick bottomed pot (all cooking is done on medium heat).
- Add garlic and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Remove sausage to a plate and cover in foil to keep warm (I don't actually cover it with foil, but I feel obligated to say that!).
- Deglaze pot with with the red wine.
- Add olive oil and bell pepper, zucchini and celery.
- Cook until veggies are softened.
- Add tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, sausage and all of the spices.
- Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add 4 oz of cheese and let simmer (covered) for 15 minutes.
- Serve in bowls topped with cheese and celery leaves for garnish.