1/1 Photo of Awesome White Cheese and Chocolate Enchiladas
1 hr 15 mins
I LOVE these things! These enchiladas are bathed in a sauce rich with chili powder, semisweet chocolate and a pinch of cinnamon. Please use corn tortillas and a "white" cheese for the recipe, as this sauce best complements them. Sliced avocado is a particularly tasty garnish for this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the enchiladas
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 cups white Mexican blend cheese, crumbled or cubed (Oaxacan is best, but Monterey Jack or Chihuahua would be okay)
- 2 green onions, sliced
For the Sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil or 1 1/2 teaspoons corn oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 teaspoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock or 2 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1For the sauce: Saute onion in oil until tender.
- 2Add garlic, oregano, cumin and cinnamon; saute together for a few minutes.
- 3Stir in flour and chili powder, coating onion mixture.
- 4Slowly whisk in vegetable (or chicken) stock; reduce until sauce thickens, whisking frequently (this will take about 30 minutes).
- 5Stir in semisweet chocolate until melted and smooth.
- 6Assemble enchiladas: Steam or soften tortillas in a lightly greased skillet (although I've been known to skip that step).
- 7Roll up 1/2 cup (or whatever fits your tortillas) of cheese in each corn tortilla.
- 8Sprinkle with green onions and pour sauce over.
- 9Cover baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until heated through.
- 10(Oaxacan cheese takes slightly longer to melt.).
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Awesome White Cheese and Chocolate Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 768.9
- Calories from Fat 479
- Total Fat 53.2 g
- Saturated Fat 30.6 g
- Cholesterol 138.6 mg
- Sodium 1598.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 35.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: