Recipe by jenlyn33922
A great recipe from the Splendid Table. Not your typical dry, flavorless turkey burger. These are moist and full of flavor! Recipe doubles easily and they are great on the grill! We like to serve them with sweet potato fries.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1 -2 ounce extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch cubes (optional)
- 2 large whole grain buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet and heat over high. Add onions and tomatoes with generous sprinkles of salt and pepper. Sauté over high, stirring frequently, until onions begin to brown.
- Add garlic and cook until onions are wilted and soft. Remove from heat. Set aside half the onion mixture for topping burgers.
- Blend ground turkey with remaining onion mixture, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Shape into 2 balls.
- Make a deep hole with your thumb and insert half of the cheese into each ball. Pinch hole closed and flatten ball into 3/4- to 1-inch thick patties with no sign of cheese on the outside. Patties will be very soft and sticky.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium high. Sear burgers about 30 seconds on each side until browned.
- Lower heat to medium-low and cook about 5 minutes per side, or until there is no pink at center of burger and an instant-read thermometer measures at least 150 degrees
- These burgers can also be grilled if you prefer.
- Serve hot on buns, topping with reserved onions and your favorite condiments.