Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I've been fiddling around trying to make a perfect sausage gravy for years and I think I finally hit on it with this one. My spices and seasonings are never actually "measured," so play around with them until it suits you! Just a disclaimer: this gravy is NOT for the health conscious! I use fat-free milk to kind of counteract the creams and sausage, but this definitely isn't a "diet-friendly" food!
- 1⁄2 lb mild sausage (you can use less, but more is more, I say)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (heaping)
- 2 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sour cream, room temperature
- 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Brown and crumble sausage until its crispy. I like to burn mine just a little. Don't worry, it re-hydrates when you add the milk and creams.
- While browning, mix 1 1/2 cup milk with the cornstarch. Add in the softened sour cream and mix thoroughly. Combine the remaining milk and heavy cream.
- Once sausage is browned (don't drain off all of the fat, leave at least a few teaspoons), reduce heat to medium-low and pour in the milk/cornstarch/sour cream mixture. Stir constantly until it just begins to thicken. Add spices.
- Once the mixture has begun to thicken, add the milk and cream and increase temperature to medium high, stirring constantly, until it begins to bubble. Once it has started bubbling, reduce again to medium low. It needs a lot of attention, so keep stirring until it has reached your desired consistency. Make sure you keep tasting it too! Add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve over hot biscuits or grits or eggs or whatever you like your sausage gravy on!
This is the best gravy EVER! I was planning on making biscuits and gravy in the morning, but my gravy is just so-so. So I thought I need to make it creamier. So I googled for sausage gravy recipes that have cream in them, and I chose this one. WHAT A FIND!