Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very simple lentil curry, with an irresitable Indian flavor and not too much heat. My idea of comfort food. Plus:it's no problem to get it on the table, with rice and a salad, in under an hour.
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, medium-cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, generous
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mild crushed dried chili
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the lentils, water and carrots in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med/low and partially cover, letting it simmer for 20 minutes.
- (If you're going to cook basmati rice, start it now.) Add the potatoes, and cook for 15-20 minutes more, till the potatoes are soft. You may need to add an additional 1/2-1 cup of water if you find it getting too thick.
- Meanwhile, in a small frying pan heat the olive oil (over med/high)and stir in the mustard seeds. Stir for a minute, till they start to pop. Reduce heat. Stir in the other spices and saute for 1 minute. Set aside.
- When the potatoes and lentils are fully cooked, stir in the spice mixture, salt and lemon juice. Serve immediately. (With chapatis or over rice; steamed collards or salad).
I thought this was good, but not spectacular. It was definitely too bland for me, even after adding extra curry powder, chili, and salt. Next time I'll probably just double all of the spices. Otherwise, no complaints. Since it makes a lot (for one person at least) I mixed it with rice and froze it in individual portions. It freezes and reheats very well.
Pretty darn tasty. My only complaint is that it was a little bland - I added lots of sriracha and yogurt. The flavors married a bit and I thought the overall taste was better the second day. Good easy go-to recipe.
Very Awesome! Thanks for a wonderful recipe! I followed the recipe exactly as posted and ate this with rice and Potatoes With Chaat Masala. Recipe napped this from veg*n tag!