Recipe by Mona
My family eats alot of this dish.I love cooking this because using the basic ingredients.You can mix and match veggies,spices and broths to suit your tastes or whatever you have on hand at the time.You can also add browned,drained hamburger or leftover chopped meat to make it an easy main dish.Its never failed me yet.
- 2 cups raw long-grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup oleo
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 3 3⁄4 cups broth (I use whatever flavor I happen to have on hand at the time)
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup diced carrot (, use 2 cups frozen peas & carrots if you have them on hand)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- salt, pepper,and mrs.dash to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in dutch oven.
- Add rice,onion,and celery.
- Cook on medium heat till rice is light brown with a nutty aroma (about 15 minutes) stirring often.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add rest of ingredients,almost over season to taste.
- (if you don't all the flavors seem to get lost and it will come out bland) Bring to boil on medium heat.
- Turn off heat.
- cover tightly with foil then put lid on top.
- (Its important that no steam can escape) Bake for 45 minutes then remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Take lid and foil off,fluff with fork and serve.