- 3 cups cake flour
- 6 large eggs
- 1 lb butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Take your standard tube cake pan and oil it with butter. Then lightly flour the oiled pan. Shake the excess flour from the pan and put to the side.
- Sift the flour, baking soda,and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in salt and the sugar.
- Add the butter. Melt the butter in a pan over slow heat to make it blend easier. (You can do this or just let the butter soften at room temperature.).
- Add the eggs. At this point I break out my mixer and begin mixing on slow.
- Slowly add buttermilk, and then the vanilla extract. After it is thoroughly stirred, I turn the mixer up to medium for a few minutes, and then finally on high. If the mixture is a little thick I add just a touch more buttermilk.
- Pour the mix in, and bake the cake for about 1 hour and twenty minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool 15 or 20 minutes in the pan before removing.