Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This soup is hearty and comforting and just plain delicious.
- 2 baking potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 -6 tablespoons flour
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 12 ounces frozen broccoli florets (steam in the bag kind)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bake potatoes prior to making soup: bake at 400 deg. for 1 hour. When cool enough, scoop out insides of potatoes and roughly chop. Set aside to add to soup later.
- Melt butter in large sauce pot and add onion. Cook over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes—stirring often.
- Add flour and stir for a minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth, heavy cream, and milk until smooth. Add dry mustard and hot sauce.
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli in it’s microwaveable bag – chop up into pretty small pieces.
- Turn up to medium-high heat and stir often, until boiling. Add potatoes and broccoli, heat to boiling again. Add salt/pepper/additional hot sauce to taste.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cheddar cheese and stir until just melted.(do not boil).