Recipe by yooper
Full of flavor, this pierogi-layered casserole is nothing short of rich and hearty. It's a wonderful change from the usual humdrum casserole. Taken from allrecipes.com submitted by Seanna Chauvet.
Top Review by Kim127
This is just awesome!! Tastes just like a pierogi without the hassle of making them, my BF ate about half of it the first night and then took it to work for lunch the next day. This is going to be a regular at our house. Next time I may use more bacon, but that's a personal preference. Yumm!! Thanks for this one yooper!
- 5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces packages lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with water to cover over high heat.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat, drain, then combine with milk and 6 tablespoons of butter, mash and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Saute the bacon, onions and garlic in the butter for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the bacon is fully cooked.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions and cool under running water.
- Place 1/2 of the mashed potatoes into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Top this with 1/3 of the cheese, followed by a layer of lasgana noodles.
- Repeat this with the remaining potatoes, another 1/3 of the cheese and a layer of noodles.
- Then arrange the bacon, onion and garlic over the noodles, then another layer of noodles, and finally top all with the remaining cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with sour cream and chopped fresh chives.