This is a great alternative to the jarred stuff you buy in the stores. Easy to make and easy to adjust to your personal tastes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices bacon, crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or 1 15 ounce can of diced and 1 1 15 ounce can crushed)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 -4 tablespoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1Fry bacon in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat until evenly browned (about 10 minutes).
- 2Remove bacon and put on a plate with paper towel.
- 3Drain some of the drippings from the skillet/pot.
- 4Cook and stir garlic with the bacon grease until garlic is tender; 1-2 minutes.
- 5Stir tomatoes, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, sugar, and minced onion into the bacon mixture.
- 6Add in the bacon, crumbled.
- 7Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 8Pour vodka over bacon mixture and simmer until sauce is slightly reduced; about 15 minutes.
- 9Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- 10Cook pasta at a boil, stirring occasionally until pasta is tender yet firm to bite; 8-10 minutes.
- 11Drain and transfer pasta to a serving bowl. Stir in a little oil or butter to keep from sticking.
- 12Stir cream into the vodka sauce and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- 13Toss penne and vodka sauce together until coated.
- 14Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Awesome Penne Alla Vodka
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 667.2
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 48.9 mg
- Sodium 125.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.4 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: