Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great alternative to the jarred stuff you buy in the stores. Easy to make and easy to adjust to your personal tastes!
- 6 slices bacon, crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or 1 15 ounce can of diced and 1 1 15 ounce can crushed)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 -4 tablespoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup vodka
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Fry bacon in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat until evenly browned (about 10 minutes).
- Remove bacon and put on a plate with paper towel.
- Drain some of the drippings from the skillet/pot.
- Cook and stir garlic with the bacon grease until garlic is tender; 1-2 minutes.
- Stir tomatoes, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, sugar, and minced onion into the bacon mixture.
- Add in the bacon, crumbled.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Pour vodka over bacon mixture and simmer until sauce is slightly reduced; about 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Cook pasta at a boil, stirring occasionally until pasta is tender yet firm to bite; 8-10 minutes.
- Drain and transfer pasta to a serving bowl. Stir in a little oil or butter to keep from sticking.
- Stir cream into the vodka sauce and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Toss penne and vodka sauce together until coated.
- Serve warm.