Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you want crispy skin, this is the recipe for you. This is a slight modification on a wonderful recipe for pan fried chicken from Cooks Illustrated. The chicken ends up with a wonderful crispy skin and it only takes 30 minutes to cook.
- Wash chicken. Pat dry and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil over medium high heat. Add chicken skin side down. Cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Carefully flip chicken in pan, using tongs. (I find that a rolling motion, as opposed to a pulling or pushing, helps to get the chicken up without pulling off the skin.) Reduce heat to medium low. Add chicken broth. Cover pan and cook 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan. Pour off broth into a bowl or saucepan for use in gravy. Carefully wipe out pan with paper towels.
- Add remaining tbsp of oil in pan. Place chicken pieces back in pan skin side down. Cook another 5 minutes.