Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great muffins for breakfast or anytime! This recipe came from a cookbook put out by David Letterman's mom Dorothy, called "Home Cookin' with Dave's Mom". It's a great book full of wonderful recipes and sweet stories!
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange peel
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and orange peel.
- In another bowl, combine orange juice, oil, vanilla, milk, and egg.
- Add orange juice mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until mixed. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper or foil liners. Fill each cup 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
First my changes/substitutions: I used Splenda Sugar Blend, unsweetened applesauce instead of the oil and orange extract instead of vanilla extract. The end result was DELICIOUS. The muffins were fluffy and moist and the combination of orange and chocolate was perfect. I got 15 muffins instead of 12 which is a bonus. :) I took some over to my in-laws and they thought the muffins were very good too. I stored them in the refrigerator, then when I was in the mood for a muffin, I would pop it into the microwave for 10-15 seconds and it tasted like it just came out of the oven. Made for June 2013 Aus/NZ Swap.
Photo may be seen here, in the Savor gallery: www.annacia.com. First I really love that this recipe isn't too sweet. The orange flavor is less pronounced than I expected and I suspect that any more sweetness would really overpower the delicate orange. The muffins baked up high, light and fluffy. Even though I used 1/2 a cup of dark chocolate chips that flavor was still the strongest in the muffin (not that thats a bad thing at all!). I should say that I used Splenda and a couple of tablespoons less oil.
I didn't have any oranges so, I used tangerine zest instead. Good muffins!