Recipe by devotedmomof7
This recipe will make meatloaf lovers out of meatloaf haters! It is an Emeril recipe off the foodnetwork website. I have modified it here and there...just types of meat and the topping.
Top Review by mbormann
Best Meatloaf I've ever had, and I don't care too much for meatloaf (ate it all the time as a kid). The version I had tonight was Emeril's original recipe, which is for the most part almost exactly like this one.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup, for topping
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup, for meatloaf
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute butter, onion, celery, and bell pepper until carmelized.
- Add garlic, thyme, rosemary, and parsley. Cook 2 minutes. Cool in a mixing bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To mixing bowl with vegetables, add eggs, mustard, 1/4 cup ketchup, Worcestershire, and cream. Mix.
- Add breadcrumbs, meat, salt, and mix with hand just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Form into 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup ketchup and 1/4 cup of brown sugar (or to taste).
- Poke holes into the meatloaf and drizzle the topping over it, allowing it to seep into the meat.
- Cut bacon slices in half, lengthwise, and place in strips over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for 45 minutes and until the sauce is slightly caramelized on the top.
- Remove from the oven and tent with foil. Let it stand about 10 minutes before serving.
- I serve it with scalloped potatoes.