Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I got this recipe from allrecipes and it is delicious. And it takes no time to put it together!
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart warm milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 5 ounces cubed cheddar cheese (I used shredded)
- 5 ounces cubed monterey jack cheese
- paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 X 13 baking dish. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour to make a roux. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, then whisk in warm milk a little at a time to make a white sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer. Mix in salt, pepper, and cayenne and stir frequently until sauce thickens.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cheddar, mozzarella and jack cheese. Combine pasta with sace and stir well. Pour into baking dish. Use paprika on top if desired. Bake 45-60 minutes, or until top is the desired cripiness. Let rest 20 minutes before serving.
Whipped up a half batch of this for lunch yesterday and it was delicious! In step 3 of the directions it says to add mozzarella with the other cheeses, but none is listed in the ingredients, so I skipped on that feeling there was plenty of cheese with the 2 varieties listed. I used extra sharp cheddar and monterey jack in mine and it bakes up nice and smooth and has a good overall flavor. Thanks for sharing!
Made this for dinner last night. It was creamy and had a great taste. My Mother loved this. I will be making this again. Made for Spring PAC 2009. Thanks for the great recipe.