Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Best ever (and yummiest) hot-weather salad if you ask me. Has grains, has protein, has plenty of taste--what more could you ask for?
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 2⁄3 cup green lentil
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, finely sliced (or chives or red onion)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or as much garlic as you can stand)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, wash and rinse the barley and lentils. Fill pot with a lot of water, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and boil until cooked - 45 minutes to an hour.
- Drain and rinse with cool water.
- Transfer to a salad bowl and toss with the onions/chives.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients, then add to the lentil-barley-onion mixture, stirring until well combined.
I'm so sorry. We just didn't feel this had any taste at all. I added some herbs from the garden as another suggested, but it really had no flavor. I think the addition of a cucumber, a tomato, maybe some other veggies would help immensely.
Very easy to make and healthy! Adults liked this but kids weren't thrilled. I might prefer a slightly sweeter dressing.