Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A great Southern side-dish; impressive for company
- 1 cup uncooked grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 6 ounces garlic cheese rolls, cubed
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter or 1⁄2-1 cup margarine
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 dash dry basil
- 1 large vidalia onion, shredded
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 C.
- of water to a rolling boil and stir in the grits and salt.
- Cover the saucepan, reduce the heat, and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove the grits from heat; add the garlic cheese, butter, eggs, and milk; stir well.
- Transfer the grits mixture to a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes; remove from the oven and allow to cool until warm to touch.
- Layer the remaining ingredients over the top in the order shown, and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Cut in squares and serve.